If you have been involved in a car accident in Vero Beach, it can be a very traumatic experience. You may be dealing with a loss of income due to painful injuries that are keeping you out of work. You may be struggling with emotional, mental, and financial repercussions as well.
An experienced Vero Beach car accident lawyer from Baker Legal Team can not only help relieve the burden of filing a personal injury claim, but they can also help fight to get you the full and fair compensation you may be entitled to for your injuries and other losses.
Common Causes of Vero Beach Car Accidents
While a car accident can occur in any place and for any reason, there are common causes to be aware of, such as:
1. Excessive Speed
A driver's response on the road can become affected even going 10 miles over the speed limit. Just a few seconds of response time can mean the difference between an almost accident and a serious crash.
2. Reckless Driving
Certain drivers have no problem taking chances while on the road. They have no regard for their own safety and that of others. They might race each other, engage in death-defying stunts, or try other reckless driving activities.
If a driver hasn't slept well in the past couple of days, their reaction will not be the same as a driver who is well-rested.
4. Health Conditions
Some drivers will continue to drive even when their physical health doesn't permit them to. For instance, their driving ability can be greatly impaired by things like headaches, blurred vision, or severe leg cramps.
5. Distracted Driving
There are a number of reasons why drivers might take their eyes away from the road, including looking down at their phone or outside the window. It only takes a few seconds for an accident to occur because of their inattention.
6. Hazardous Road Conditions
A driver can quickly lose control of their car for road hazards like heavy winds, severe rain, broken glass, or other obstacles.
If you're in a car accident in Vero Beach because of another driver's negligence, whether it's related to some of the reasons above or something else, you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries or losses.
Florida and No-Fault Insurance
The state of Florida is considered a no-fault state under Florida Statute 627.7407. This means that if a vehicle accident should occur, the auto insurance carrier of the injured party can provide compensation for lost income and medical expenses regardless of who caused the accident. The other driver won't be held liable unless serious injuries resulted from the accident.
But if the victim's injuries are serious enough, they may be able to file for compensation in civil court because they've met the "serious injury" threshold. This threshold could apply if they suffered:
- Severe and permanent bodily function loss
- Permanent injuries
- Permanent and severe disfigurement or scarring
Since these circumstances may be hard to interpret and vague, a seasoned Vero Beach car accident lawyer can work to increase the likelihood of an individual receiving a fair settlement.
Steps to Take If You're Involved in a Car Accident in Vero Beach
If you've been involved in a vehicle accident be sure to contact a Vero Beach car accident attorney. There are specific steps you'll want to take to protect yourself and your passengers, if any. These include:
- Stay put at the accident scene: Check on your passengers as well as the other driver and people involved in the accident for injuries. If anyone is injured, request emergency responders to come to the scene of the car accident.
- Exchange information with all involved parties of the accident: You can use your cell phone to take photos of the other party's license plate, driver's license, and insurance company's name.
- Gather contact information: Make sure you get the contact info of who could be possible witnesses to the vehicle accident, including their name, number, and address.
- Receive medical attention right away, even if you don't believe that you've been seriously injured: In certain cases, soft tissue injuries like whiplash or even more severe injuries like concussions don't manifest themselves immediately. These medical conditions can result in severe complications if they're left untreated.
- Request police report copies and copies of medical records: These can help prove to be invaluable if you make the decision to file a personal injury claim following your car accident. They'll also provide you with legal documentation that you'll need to file the claim.
- Retain a skilled car accident lawyer: They can explain your legal rights and options, answer any questions you have, and represent you in court if needed.
An experienced car accident lawyer in Vero Beach will be committed to helping you obtain the compensation you may be entitled to that will provide you with peace of mind and help you recover from your injuries.
Call the Baker Legal Team in Vero Beach Today to Speak with a Reputable Car Accident Lawyer
If another party's recklessness or negligence causes you to become seriously injured in a car accident, reach out to the Baker Legal Team to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Our Vero Beach car accident attorneys will do our very best to ensure you are fairly compensated for your injuries and losses.