Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are a top cause of disability and death in the United States. The Centers for Disease Control reports millions of people suffer from TBI each year. Car accidents are a common cause of TBI, but any accident that involves a severe and sudden blow to the head may put a victim at risk of brain injury. A person may also suffer brain injury if he or she sustains an object piercing their head or sudden force.
A TBI may be mild or severe, and can even cause death. Suffering a brain injury could involve mild concussions to debilitating brain damage. These injuries bring a range of health issues since they can cause physical and cognitive impairment. Often, treating a TBI requires long-term or life-long care, which can become costly and change the course of a person’s entire life.
At Baker Legal Team, attorney Robert Baker understands the devastating effects TBI can have on personal injury victims and their families. We’ve worked with hundreds of people who have sustained a traumatic brain injury due to another’s negligence. Whether you sustained a TBI in a car crash, slip and fall, or another type of accident, our goal is to help you seek justice and compensation that will help you rebuild your life.
Determining Whether You Have a Brain Injury Claim in Boca Raton
If your accident was caused because of another person’s negligence or purposeful misconduct, you have the right to pursue a personal injury claim to recover your accident-related expenses and losses. The claims process can be long and tedious, and often involves ongoing communication between several parties, many of which will try to reduce the value of your claim to avoid paying you what you deserve. When you’re facing the possibility of negotiating with insurance companies and proving negligence, it’s time to contact an attorney.
Your health should be your top priority after sustaining a mild or severe TBI. Robert Baker is a dedicated and compassionate traumatic brain injury lawyer in Boca Raton who will take care of the legal process while keeping you informed of your claim’s progress at every step. He will investigate the details of your accident to establish that the liable party owed you a duty of care and failed to act appropriately.
Generally, your lawyer must establish four facts to prove you have a valid claim and require compensation.
- Duty of Care: Your lawyer must show that the defendant owed you a duty of care. A duty of care provides that the defendant had a legal responsibility to act in a reasonably safe manner so as not to put you or others at harm. When driving, all drivers owe other road users a duty of care by following the rules of the road. A person who text messages while driving on the highway and proceeds to crash into another driver, causing that driver injuries, may be held liable for those injuries and be required to pay monetary damages.
- Breach of Duty: After establishing that the at-fault party owed a duty of care, it must be shown that they violated that duty by acting negligently. In the example above, texting while driving is a violation of the rules of the road; therefore, evidence that the driver was distracted would prove that they breached their duty of care.
- Causation: Proving causation is the key to winning any accident case. Your attorney must be able to show the connection between the liable party’s actions and your injuries. In a car accident, the liable party’s insurance company might try to downplay your injuries by stating that you had a condition before the crash took place, or that the crash only exacerbated your condition instead of being the root cause of it. These are tactics they may use to downplay the severity of your suffering and avoid paying the full value of your claim. Robert Baker is a skilled personal injury lawyer who will know how to fight back.
- Damages: After establishing all preceding elements, it’s critical to prove that your injuries caused you suffering that could be rectified through financial means. Typically, people who suffer TBI experience financial and emotional harm. You may be able to recover for medical expenses, lost wages, lost ability to keep your job or hold a similar position, property damage, and pain and suffering.
Common Types of Accidents that Can Cause TBI
Attorney Robert Baker has helped clients throughout Boca Raton recover fair compensation for brain injuries that resulted from a wide range of causes. Some of the most common accidents that can cause traumatic brain injuries are:
- Car accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Medical negligence
- Motorcycle and bicycle crashes
- Physical abuse
- Workplace accidents
Allow Baker Legal Team to pursue justice for you. Robert Baker is Board-Certified in personal injury law and has successfully recovered millions of dollars for his clients.
Reliable Representation for TBI Victims in Boca Raton for 30 Years
It’s crucial to seek legal representation as soon as possible after being diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury. The sooner you can show a medical record, the sooner your claim could succeed. Attorney Robert Baker excels in providing reliable representation to traumatic brain injury victims in Boca Raton and surrounding areas. He is one of a handful of attorneys with Florida Bar Board Certification for his competency and experience as a civil trial lawyer. Find out how he can help by calling (561) 560-5961 for a free consultation or complete our contact form.