Motorists in Boca Raton are familiar with just how dangerous and devastating an accident can be. In 2020, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles reported 340,552 crashes across the state, with over 212,000 injuries resulting from those accidents. One of the most common ways drivers sustain injuries after a collision is whiplash, which is a neck injury that occurs when the head moves backward and forward too suddenly.
Drivers who have experienced whiplash due to an accident in Boca Raton know the severity of the damage that these injuries can cause. If you or someone you care about has recently been involved in a car accident that resulted in whiplash, an experienced lawyer like the professionals at Baker Legal can help you work through the process of obtaining compensation for your pain and suffering.
What Is Whiplash?
Whiplash is a neck injury due to a forceful, back and forth motion of the neck. The sudden and often violent movement puts the cervical spine through quick and stressful motions. The motion may injure bones in the spine, discs between the vertebrae, ligaments, muscles, and other neck tissues.
However, car accidents are not the only accidents that may cause a whiplash injury. Other accidents may include:
When another party’s negligent actions cause a whiplash injury, you should contact a Boca Raton personal injury attorney right away. They can guide you through the claims process and inform you of your legal rights.
Indications of Potential Whiplash Injury
It’s wise to seek medical attention after most kinds of crashes, even if you don’t immediately feel any pain or symptoms. A physician or doctor must examine you for any potential injuries. Not only will this practice allow you to learn whether or not you have any additional injuries from the accident, but it will also provide you with medical documentation that you may use as evidence in your whiplash case.
Several physical and neurological symptoms often indicate someone is suffering from a whiplash injury following a car accident, which can include:
- Neck pain: Pain may range from mild to severe and be in one or multiple locations. Whiplash may cause ligament sprains, muscle strains, disc, nerves, or joint injuries, resulting in neck pain.
- Headaches: When a neck muscle tightens, or a nerve or joint becomes irritated, a headache might form. Headaches resulting from whiplash may last for hours.
- Tingling, weakness, or numbness: Whiplash may cause one of the neck’s spinal nerve roots to compress or inflate, leading to tingling, weakness, or numbness during the shoulder, arm, hand, or fingers.
- Limited mobility
- Dizziness: Whiplash-related dizziness may result from neck instability or even a concussion.
- Vision problems: Blurry vision and other visual problems might result from various conditions, such as concussions or nerve damage.
- Ringing in the ears: Ringing or buzzing in both ears can range from intermittent and minor to constant and severe.
Often, a case of post-accident whiplash can last for several weeks and can range in severity from intense pain to a mild sense of discomfort. In some more severe circumstances, this pain can last for months or even years.
Doctors diagnose whiplash when accident victims report neck pain in the aftermath of a personal injury accident. When you visit the doctor for neck pain, the doctor will likely ask you questions about prior injuries and complete a physical examination. The doctor may also perform a diagnostic imaging scan if they suspect a fracture or neurological problem.
How Do Doctors Treat a Whiplash Injury?
As mentioned above, you should seek medical care after an accident. That is the only way to determine the severity of your whiplash. If a doctor determines the injury is only minor, it may heal on its own within a few weeks. During this time, it’s essential to rest and alternate between heat and ice packs. Ice packs can temporarily close small blood vessels and prevent swelling from worsening, while heating pads promote blood flow and help muscles relax. Your doctor may also recommend over-the-counter medications to relieve discomfort and inflammation.
However, your whiplash injury might be more severe or worsen over time. If this is the case, your back doctor might suggest some of the following treatment options:
- Physical therapy: Treatment programs run by trained physical therapists may help improve the neck’s strength and flexibility, relieving stress on the spine and alleviating pain.
- Prescription medications: If over-the-counter medications do not manage the pain, your doctor may prescribe prescription medications, such as muscle relaxants.
- Manual manipulation: A chiropractor or other certified back doctor may use their hands to make manual adjustments to the spine to increase motion and reduce pain.
- Massage therapy: You may combine massages with other treatment options, such as physical therapy or manual manipulation, to reduce pain by soothing muscle tension and increasing blood flow.
In addition to these treatments, anything you can do to lead a healthy lifestyle is generally beneficial to your back and neck health. Eating healthy foods, receiving enough sleep, using an ergonomic pillow, and having good posture are all ways to reduce your chances of a severe back, neck, or spine injury.
Compensation and Awards for Whiplash Injuries in Boca Raton
When you begin pursuing damages for your whiplash injury, one of your primary concerns might be whether or not you will be able to receive the compensation that you and your family need. The best way to ensure that you receive compensation for your damages is to contact a Boca Raton whiplash injury lawyer who you can trust to navigate the legal process and assist you every step of the way.
Experienced lawyers like the legal professionals at Baker Legal have successfully helped hundreds of clients receive awards for their damages after a serious whiplash injury, which may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses (current and future)
- Loss of income
- Property damages
- Vehicle repair costs
- Mental or emotional anguish
- Loss of familial relationship (loss of consortium)
- Punitive damages
Whiplash cases are common in Boca Raton, Florida, due to the thousands of car accidents each year. Navigating the legal system after experiencing a severe accident can be complicated, but if you are looking to obtain the best outcome for your whiplash injury suit, you will need an experienced personal injury and car accident lawyer.
How Baker Legal Can Help Your Whiplash Injury Case in South Florida
When you need to pursue a case related to a severe whiplash injury that you or someone you care about has sustained, your best course of action is always to work with a lawyer experienced in successfully representing similar cases. The team of highly trained professionals at Baker Legal knows how to get the optimal results for your case and has developed a strong strategy for pursuing whiplash injury claims.
Robert B. Baker of Baker Legal is a well-respected civil trial attorney who dedicates himself to helping clients recover compensation after an auto accident in Boca Raton, Florida. His approach to whiplash injuries will help you build a solid and successful case that may allow you to receive financial compensation.
At the office of Baker Legal in Boca Raton, our whiplash injury professionals can help you navigate your legal case in the following ways:
- Helping you file your claim
- Obtaining documents such as police reports and records
- Establishing a liable party
- Accessing photo and video evidence
- Creating an accident reconstruction
- Gathering witness testimony
No one should have to take their whiplash injury case to court alone. If you or someone you care about is recovering or has recently experienced fatal injuries due to a serious car accident, contact the office of Baker Legal to begin the process of submitting your claim and seeking justice for your case.
Retain a Skilled Whiplash Injury Lawyer in Boca Raton, Florida
Drivers in Boca Raton should be aware that a serious accident can happen at any time. These accidents can result in severe or even fatal injuries. When this happens, contact a Boca Raton car accident lawyer that you can trust to represent you and help you to obtain the necessary compensation for your pain and suffering. At the office of Baker Legal in South Florida, our team of qualified professionals works night and day with our clients to strengthen their cases and help them successfully file their recent injury claims.
Give us a call today at 561-599-6470 or contact us online to find out more information or schedule a consultation with one of our experienced and knowledgeable team members.