Royal Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal injury can happen to anyone in a multitude of ways. Sustaining injuries can not only disrupt your life as you know it, but it can also cost you considerable financial setbacks in medical bills, lost days of work, and even damaged property. You have a right to try to recover what is owed to you in exchange for the damages you have suffered, but it can be hard to navigate the legal waters on your own. With the help of the experienced attorneys at Baker Legal Team, filing a personal injury claim in the Royal Palm Beach area does not have to be difficult.
What Is a Personal Injury Case?
Personal injury accidents happen every day. A person who trips on a cracked sidewalk may injure their hip, or a driver who is crashed into on their way to work may suffer a concussion, whiplash, or a number of other injuries. These injuries often lead to expensive hospital stays and keep victims out of work for several days, weeks, or even months. When these accidents happen due to another person or entity’s lack of care, it may be possible to hold them legally responsible for the damage they caused. The goal of a personal injury case is to recover compensation that makes up for all the financial losses associated with the accident so that victims may resume their day-to-day lives.
While almost any incident can lead to a possible personal injury case, the following are some of the most common incidents that personal injury lawyers handle:
- Slip and Fall Cases: Every property owner has a legal obligation to keep their property reasonably safe to all visitors. Liability for slip and fall cases is determined on a case-by-case basis, but you may have a claim if your fall occurred as the result of the owner’s negligence.
- Car Accidents: Every year, there are an average of six million car accidents in the United States of America. If you sustained injuries due to a car accident, you may be able to make a personal injury claim.
- Medical Malpractice: Medical professionals, such as doctors or nurses, have an obligation to competently perform their medical duties. If you sustained injuries due to the negligence of a medical professional, you may be able to file a personal injury claim.
- Wrongful Death: If an accident resulted in the death of a loved one, you may be able to file a claim if the incident occurred due to the lack of care or negligence by another.
The above are just some examples of the most common types of personal injury cases our firm represents in Royal Palm Beach.
What Are the Legal Aspects of Personal Injury Cases?
If you are considering filing a personal injury case, understanding the legal aspects of this type of lawsuit will help you in the event that your case goes to trial. The following list contains the most important aspects to understand for any personal injury case:
- Statutory Limitations: In Florida, you have four years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit for most personal injury cases. After that deadline, you may no longer be eligible to recover compensation for your losses.
- Burden of Proof: To be compensated for their injury, the plaintiff must provide proof that the defendant acted negligently.
- Liability: Depending on the defendant's liability, the plaintiff will receive compensation for the damages caused by the defendant. However, if the plaintiff is found to be more than 50 percent responsible for the accident, they can no longer receive compensation.
Understanding these legal aspects of a personal injury case is helpful. However, it is still crucial to meet with an experienced personal injury attorney to be fully prepared to file your claim.
Elements Needed to Prove Negligence in a Personal Injury Case
You can fall victim to a personal injury accident for a multitude of reasons. Those who are liable for personal injury accidents must be found negligent in order for a personal injury claim to succeed. In addition, it must be proved that the victim’s injuries resulted directly from that negligence. A successful personal injury claim will show the following:
- The defendant owed a reasonable duty of care
- The defendant failed to provide that reasonable duty of care
- The injuries the victim sustained were a direct result of the actions of the defendant
- The defendant’s negligence resulted in tangible losses
If a breach in the duty of care did not lead to damages, you may not be able to recover compensation. It’s important to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer in Royal Palm Beach to understand your legal options for resolving your claim.
How Will You Be Compensated for Personal Injury?
If you’ve been injured due to negligence, you have the right to pursue compensation for your losses. There are two types of compensation you can receive in the form of damages–– they are economic and non-economic damages. The amount of compensation you may be able to recover is based on the facts of your case. Some types of compensation that are common in personal injury cases include the following:
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced earning capacity
- Medical bills
- Property damage
An experienced personal injury attorney will fight to give you the best chance at recovering fair compensation for your losses.
Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys in Royal Palm Beach
Being the victim of negligence can cause you damage beyond your financial means but receiving compensation for the damages suffered can help you move past the incident. When you need guidance navigating the complex legal system, you can trust Attorney Robert Baker to steer you in the right direction.
Robert Baker is one of few Board-Certified personal injury lawyers in the state of Florida. He has served clients facing personal injury issues for more than 30 years and dedicates his practice to helping individuals achieve the best possible result. You can count on the Baker Legal Team to represent your personal injury claim. For a free case evaluation, click here or call (561) 320-0000.