An accident can turn your life upside down. It can take years to heal fully from the physical and emotional pain. Furthermore, medical bills may cost thousands of dollars, only adding to your stress. Although you do have the right to hold the responsible party accountable for their actions, the added pressure of a civil lawsuit on your own can make recovery more challenging. If you were injured, a Homestead personal injury attorney might be your best chance of obtaining financial compensation.
The attorneys at the Baker Legal Team have decades of combined experience representing personal injury victims. The passion we show toward our clients and the results we achieve for them makes us a top source for legal representation in South Florida.
What Should I Do Following an Accident in Florida?
Whether it was a car accident or slip and fall, the immediate aftermath of an accident can be confusing and overwhelming. The steps you take afterward can be vital to your case. Keep these three tips in mind if you are ever in an accident.
- Take photos: Take as many pictures of the accident scene as possible. Say you were in a car crash—you should photograph damages to both vehicles, road conditions, and the weather. No matter what type of accident it was, always document your injuries. This will prove you sustained injuries from the accident and not from another incident later.
- Seek medical care: You will want to schedule an appointment with a doctor as soon as possible. You might feel fine or show no external injuries, but a doctor can diagnose internal damages, such as internal bleeding, tissue damage, or a brain injury. Additionally, insurers may interpret not seeing a doctor as you exaggerating your injuries, which might reduce your compensation.
- Contact an attorney: After you receive medical care, contact a Homestead personal injury attorney. They can guide you on the best way to pursue financial compensation for your accident-related expenses. Additionally, recovery should be your top priority, and a lawsuit may take time away from your medical appointments or physical therapy sessions.
One thing you should never do is put your faith in the insurance company. Remember, it is still a business, and its goal is to maximize profits. Unfortunately, this means employing sneaky tactics to reduce or deny your claim. Even saying “I’m fine” can cost you thousands of dollars. Do not let insurers take advantage of you—hire an attorney.
What Type of Personal Injury Cases Do We Handle in Homestead, Florida?
No matter how tough your case may seem, you can count on our attorneys to fight for you. As a Board-Certified Trial Attorney, Robert Baker has the skill and experience needed to handle various personal injury claims in Florida, including:
- Auto accidents: We represent victims in all sorts of automobile accidents, including car, truck, and motorcycle crashes. We also represent bicyclists and pedestrians who have sustained injuries resulting from an auto accident. Always be alert on the road. Too many drivers are distracted or reckless when operating a vehicle.
- Boating accidents: Boating is a common activity in Florida among both tourists and residents. However, an afternoon on the water can quickly turn deadly. Violent winds or waves can cause another boat to collide with yours. Victims might sustain whiplash, broken bones, or water in their lungs.
- Premises liability: Property owners have a reasonable duty of care to protect their guests from hazardous conditions. For example, a store must notify shoppers if they recently mopped a floor. Additionally, property owners must notify guests if they have to wait to repair any hazards.
- Product liability: Companies must design and manufacture safe products. When they fail, injuries can occur. Additionally, businesses must make every reasonable effort to notify their customers of a defective product to ensure they return it.
- Swimming pool accidents: Swimming is fun for all ages, but it can turn dangerous quickly. You might slip and fall on the pool deck, causing bruises or broken bones. More seriously, you may dive into too shallow waters, resulting in a head injury. Pool owners need to ensure a safe environment at all times, including having a fence around the pool and signs that state “no running” and “shallow water.”
Types of Compensation You May Receive for Your Injuries
All personal injury cases are different, so the compensation you may be eligible for depends on the circumstances surrounding your accident. After reviewing your case, your Homestead personal injury attorney might be able to recover compensation for the following losses:
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- In-home rehabilitation
- Medical equipment
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
- Funeral expenses
In some cases, a court may award you punitive damages. Judges award these when the defendant acted in a highly reckless behavior or if they had intended to cause an accident or injuries. Additionally, judges award punitive damages when compensatory damages are not enough to punish the defendant’s misconduct and to deter similar behavior in the future.
Is a Personal Injury Attorney Worth the Cost?
Hiring a personal injury attorney is always a good idea. Florida law is complex and can be confusing to those who have no experience in it. One missed detail or misinterpretation can cost you your entire settlement. When you partner with the Baker Legal Team, we will thoroughly investigate your case and go through every aspect of the process together, so you can decide how to proceed.
Additionally, we can handle all negotiations with insurance companies and handle all day-to-day responsibilities regarding your case. We will also prepare and take your case to trial, if necessary. As a former prosecutor and successful personal injury lawyer, Attorney Robert Baker will support you during this challenging time and ensure you receive justice.
Speak to an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer in Homestead, Florida, Today
When you partner with the Baker Legal Team, you will receive personalized services from our knowledgeable attorneys throughout your entire personal injury lawsuit. We are strong advocates who aggressively pursue every claim and protect your legal rights at all times.
Remember, you only have four years from the accident date to file a personal injury claim in Florida. After that, you will have a hard time finding a judge who will take the case, so you must contact us immediately. Call (561) 320-0000 or complete our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.